Friday, February 3, 2012

Who Do I Think I Am?

Who do I think I am? There is no simple answer for me because I'm still trying to figure that out day by day. I can start by telling you my name is Sora Kim, I was born in Nyack, New York but moved to Queens at a very early age and grew up there, since childhood. My parents were born and raised in South Korea and I have two older sisters, who are the bane of my existence, at times, but I love very much. All my life I’ve always had a passion for writing, though I didn’t always write everything down on a piece of paper, there was always a thought in my mind about anything and everything. If something occurred around me I would have an opinion on it. It wasn’t until my senior year of Junior High School where I began to really explore the option of becoming a journalist.  I was a part of the yearbook committee and that’s where I discovered another passion, web designing. I loved it so much I even started making amateur websites for myself through AOL and later becoming more “advanced,” as the internet allowed me to be back then, moved onto Geocities; an old web designing owned by yahoo.

All through high school I struggled with the idea of either becoming a journalist (where I had yet to choose a specific area of study, i.e. broadcast, investigative reporting, etc) or becoming a graphic/web designer. I attended Middle College High School and through a wonderful program for high school students, funded by Bill and Melinda Gates, called The Early College Program I got to attend LaGuardia Community College while I was still in High School, with the tuition paid in full for a period of 2 years. It was a wonderful experience for me because it helped me grow not only as a student but as a young woman, at an early age.

After finishing high school I took a break from LaGuardia and continued to work full time while taking courses at the New York Art Studio in Manhattan, New York. Although I love web designing, I had zero experience in the “graphic” department so I was taught the basics in art and design. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about myself and did things I never thought I could do. Before attending that studio the only thing I managed to draw, in my entire life, was a very attractive stick figure. After I finished, I quit my lousy job and went back to LaGuardia fulltime to earn my Associates degree. I joined the college newspaper and tried my hand at writing again and I got my start at writing short articles. It was short pieces that were mainly about the goings on in the school and different events, which were to come. The subject didn’t really peak my interest as much as I thought it would but I did enjoy the investigating aspect of writing articles, such as, interviewing people and digging around for answers. Here at Hunter, especially through the Women and Media class, I hope to continue diversifying my options in Media Studies and find an issue/subject I am passionate about, enough to write about for the rest of my life. I will continue to pursue my dreams of becoming a web designer as well, maybe one day working for a publication like TIME or Vogue Magazine.

Other than my love for sweets and caffeine, I am also an avid animal lover. My dog is pretty much spoiled rotten by the whole family.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment