Saturday, February 4, 2012

Trying to figure it out.



I don't believe that individuals stay static. Certain elements about us stay thesame over time but how we nourish, challenge, and explore these elements orinterests can alter who we are and how we see ourselves. In short I am acreative, active person and this is what best defines me over time. It is elements that stay the same. Right nowthough I am also trying to figure out where I fit in, in regards to a career. Going back to college started as a means to combine and possibly fuse togethercareer choices and interests.
To me being creative is a way to live; I'm always looking for an outlet for my ideas bothvisually or through language. I could not have a job that didn't allow me toexpress myself. Since my teens I have focused on a career as an actress, dancerand singer: a career choice that has made me somewhat nomadic and given me theopportunity to train and live in several countries.
The move to New York in 2009 was different from any of the other changes in location thatI've made. It gave me the possibility to explore an area of acting that Ihadn't before. In collaboration with my husband I started to take control andcreate work myself. The experience of pulling everything together (as we didn'tjust act anymore but also produced, directed and designed) the look of theshow, was incredibly empowering and it helped me find my way back into an oldinterests, that of fashion through costuming the show. The experiences made merealize that I wanted more than one outlet, one way to express my ideas andcreativity.
My parents early on knew that I would end up in three possible businesses: theentertainment business, health industry or the fashion industry. I am nowheading towards an in between or combined career. I have always loved and beenfascinated by magazines, mainly fashion and health. As a child I loved to lookat the images and was intrigued by the industry behind it. While doing my acting training in London I connected with a friend within the publishing industryand the idea of pursuing freelance fashion and health writing in conjunction with actingfirst stated to take shape only to be acted on first after I had moved to NewYork.
Most dancers have a huge interest in health, and having been active for many yearsit has become a way of life. Over the years I have turned to Pilates and yogaas an alternative to multiple dance lessons. While many of my friends becamepersonal trainers and dance teachers, I feel the next step for me is to writeand enlighten people through the use of the pen. Or rather the keyboard in thiscase. At the current moment I am amedia major, doing my first internship while costuming "A MidsummersNights Dream" for my theater company. It sure does keep me busy, andthat's the way I like it to be. It is amazing how my studies of media havealready liberated and influenced my acting and work in the theater. By lookingat society and deepening my understanding of culture and our culturalinfluences, it has deepened my work in the theater.
My daily contact with media has increased immensely since I decided to go back to Hunter College to get my BA. Especially the information that I receive via the internet. I still get my magazines in print, however this is the only print based information I use. The biggest change is that I have started frequenting bloggs. The ones I visit most often are fashion or theater based, and it is the same with websites. I know bloggs have been around for quite some time but before I became a media student, I didn't pay as much attention to them. Not in the way I do today, which is for inspiration, news and entertainment. In addition, I read the New York Times online as well as watch movies and episodes of tvseries. 

In the end, the widening of my understanding and perspective of society will hopefully enhance my capabilities in every area of my career.

Two Gentlemen of Verona production 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment