Friday, February 3, 2012

Post 1 ~ Who do you think you are?

I'm a little uncomfortable writing about myself right now because I feel like I haven't done much yet. The world is a tangled mess of stories. I think I'm one of those stories. But, you know the old writer's advice about entering a plot as late as possible? Well, I might still be working on backstory. A lot of how I define myself at the moment is by what I want to do. And if I stay in terms of stories I want to discover, experience, create and convey.

The last two are where learning more about how to interact with and use new media has become vital. I'm a novice when it comes to most new media and I know that this will limit me as I go forward.
It's like when I was a little girl at a diner with my Ma, using grains of salt to play Madeline while we waited for our food. I knew what was going on in the game but any other person would have just seen spilt seasoning. I didn't have the tools at that moment to communicate. Now I know there are many at my disposal that I don't know how to use yet.
Right now, the stories that bounce around my head are mostly being told to an audience of one: myself. A big part of that is because I just haven't done it yet -- I haven't made work worth showing and I haven't put myself "out there" as it's said. Another component is learning how to use all these fantastic media.

Who do I think I am?
An adventurer and a storyteller, still taking baby steps but itching to jump.


Madeline dancing by the Seine


Ps. There is an annual art fair held at the armory on Lexington & 25th. It was a lot of fun last year. There was live music, beer (which I know some of you mentioned a fondness for), and some really exciting art work I probably wouldn't have discovered otherwise. To read more about the fair coming up in March go here.

1 comment: