Thursday, February 2, 2012

Wanna Be A Distributor

Hi my name is Ayami. It is hard to write who I am… Starting from basic info - I was born and raised in Japan. I am an international student and I have lived in New York for 1 and a half year. I am a media major, and this is my second degree. When I was in college in Japan, I had worked for Japan Cable Television, which broadcasts CNN and The Golf Channel. I worked in a controlling room, operating channels; switching commercial to program, running captions etc etc. It was a techy job, and actually was not a fun job. After 3 months I started working there, I did not even check the monitor all the time any more. I should confess that I mistakenly ran sponsor commercials at the wrong timing…a couple of times in 2 years. But the viewer rating of CNN Japan was bottom three among all the cable channels. Fortunately, I was not accused of the mistakes at all because I assume only a few people in Japan watched CNN at the time.

Then, I changed my direction to more entertainment field. I started working for MTV Japan. I really loved working in PR department, helping events such as Video Music Awards Japan. As I had been working there, I have had a longing for working at MTV headquarter in NY…but it turned out be the hardest challenge for me to work there as an intern. I was stressed out because of my limitation of English and super hectic working environment. Although it was super busy, I learned from the experience, and I still like MTV.

The interesting thing is the different broadcasting system that the U.S. and Japan have. CNN Japan broadcast The Daily Show, which might sound strange to Americans. In addition, I found out that simultaneous interpretation diminishes John Stewart’s sense of humor. I am figuring out what I would like to do in the future, but roughly thinking that it would be an ideal that I can distribute media contents such as music, TV shows, animation from Japan, and distribute American ones to Japan.

My main tool to consume media is the Internet. I watch lots of Japanese comedy shows and dramas, and sometimes read articles and news via the Internet. I do not really watch TV, but I watch New York 1 almost every morning. Honestly I watch Jersey Shore sometimes to just kill time.

I used to think I am a social person. But since I moved here, I found my inner shyness and difficulties to communicate in different language. Especially I feel really shy when I speak in public in English. What else should I include to introduce myself? Oh as I said in class, I like beer! Especially Kirin and Heineken. Beer is a stress reliever for me. Plus I am a big fan of soccer. Soccer and Beer is a perfect match for my leisure time :)


No comments:

Post a Comment