Saturday, May 12, 2012

Final Project


Day by day, mass media continues to shape the way people think, feel, and behave in society. With the right tools it can be viewed as a dangerous influential motivator to, dare I say it, criminal behavior? With widely popularized social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr increasing in the number of users how hard can it be for someone to log on and view a particularly disturbing image, hear a demeaning song, or watch a very visual gut wrenching video? The answer to that would be: it wouldn’t be very difficult at all. What we see on the World Wide Web or watch on our television screens makes no difference because they all seem to depict one thing; violence against women in advertisements is okay because it’s only there to sell a product. There are no evil hidden motives towards these ads and people shouldn’t take it personally or be so offended by them. While I don’t find these so called “hidden motives” in every ad I come across, there’s a vast majority out there that will have me turning my head away in disgust. The makers of those advertisements can “glamorize” it all they want to but I find looking at a woman’s black eye after her significant other used her as a human punching bag anything but glamorizing. Seeing an image of a woman almost half naked with a man on top of her while his male friends surround him is something that will be carved into my mind forever. Yes, gang rape is a great way to sell a product (hint: sarcasm).

I am someone who has been deeply and personally affected by domestic abuse because there are women in my life - I care for and admire – that are going through the hardships of being in an abusive relationship. I want advertisers and the media to know that this is not something that should be taken lightly for any reason. We as women need to stand up against this kind of misrepresentation and say NO.  Just say no to these men who think they have any control over us, no to these men who think it’s right to touch us when we don’t want to be touched, no to these advertisers who think we’re anything but human, and no to the mass media who continue to believe that we don’t have the courage to say no. Miss No Media is my outlet to say NO. I hope that what I post here can be beneficial and contribute, even slightly, to stopping violence against women, particularly in advertising.

My goal for this site is to not only reach out to advertisers but also give other women who have gone through the same experiences an outlet to stand up and say “NO. We are not inferior. We are not superior. We are equal.”


Miss No Media - my personal website in hopes that as I continue to share my own painful experiences about violence against women it will give others strength to do the same and take a stand against the advertising industry. 


finalPP

No comments:

Post a Comment