Saturday, May 12, 2012

Depiction of Violence in Hip Hop


We are living in a world full of huge media consumptions, children, women and minorities are often targeted in the mainstream media. In my final project, I explored how hip hop music involves explicit languages and images that dehumanized women and violences against women. I liked to listen to rap music a lot, and never realized how explicit the lyrics and music videos get, until I researched heavily on this topic. I don't know how much effect will this have on our next generations, since they are bombarded with much more media informations than we did in our childhoood.

Therefore, in my final project, I would focus on how violence depicted in Hip Hop might be against women, and whether Hip Hop music would affect people's mind, especially children. My concern is that since children do not have the knowledge about what the media really depicts on, they can be easily affected by the music videos and lyrics from their favorite artists. According to psychological researches, psychologists stated that rap music with misogynistic themes appear to create misogynistic attitudes and greater acceptance of violence against women. At the end of the project, I want to find out solutions to tackle these problems, or at least let children and their parents to be aware of what is going on right now, to let children understand the true messages behind those lyrics and music videos of their favorite pop stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment