Saturday, May 12, 2012

Final Project

Everywhere we go, everywhere we look, anywhere that our eyes can reach, we find more and more advertisements. Whether we know it or not but ads play a big part of our lives. They are not just selling products, they are selling values, sexuality, and normalcy. These ad not only affect the self- esteem of women and young girls, but also there are no real representation of "real" women in the society.

So for my final project, I decided to interview a few people and asked them to not only look at these different advertisements but to really critique them. I wanted to hear what their thoughts on how women are portrayed in these ads. Before taking this class, I loved looking at the beautiful ads in women’s magazines because the photos were flawless, almost too beautiful to be true; they were surreal. Consciously, we as the inspector, are well aware of the amount of work and money that goes toward creating the perfect ad, but at the same time we can’t help but to wish to reach that perfection. Media is a big part of my life and I have been exposed to the media for a little while now. However, I did not think that so many ads would have such negative impact on young children, especially girls, as well as women. I want to raise their awareness and actually critic these ads, to really look beyond what’s the obvious perfect image in these ads.


No comments:

Post a Comment