Sunday, January 29, 2012

Who Am I?

Who am I? Sometimes the simpliest question seems to be the hardest to answer and I still stumble in the search of finding my own identity, but lets just start with the basics. My name is DanYang Yu, the characters mean a lily flower sitting in the lake facing the bright sun. My English name is Danielle. My parents gave me that name because it is easier to pronounce and it is quite similiar to my Chinese name. I am currently a care taker, I babysit a 20-months old girl. She is the cutest baby ever and I really adore her. Other than that, I am also a pursuing journalist/reporter and a model/actress. ;)

I have always loved the media industry and technology but I never thought I would be heading in the direction of journalism, mainly because I did not think I was a strong writer. I've kept blogs and diaries and wrote a lot of essays for school assignments but who hasn't. Anyways, last semester I took intro to reporting and I've achieved a lot of goals in that class. At first, it seemed as if the professor hated my work but I was glad I proved him wrong. With that said, I actually published all 3 of my articles on Hunter Word. Boy, was I excited!

Here is a link to one of my articles, I hope you guys will find it interesting...somehow. http://hunterword.com/articles/1507

Being a journalist is hard, and I've been told by my professor since day one of the class, and he was convincing and intimidating. But my true passion is leaning towards reporting, I want to be a on-air correspondent and interview all types of interesting people, whether it is film related or fashion related. Currently I am trying to apply for an independent study at the Tribeca Film Festival as a journalist but I am hoping to put together a team to also conduct live interviews and develop my reporting career. (If any of you are interested, please let me know. It'll be great social networking. ^__^")

Hmms...what else is interesting about me? Oh, I been modeling for about 3 years now. It's going pretty well. I have walked in fashion shows, modeled for clothing stores, and shot editorials for magazines. Unfortunately, I'm about 3 inches short so I can only do print work but I've learn to accept that you can't change the reality, either you live up to it or be depressed about what you lack. Currently I am going into acting.

People always say, find your passion and do the things you love, only then will you really succeed. I feel like I been searching for myself for a very long time and I have come to a conclusion that I really love the camera. Modeling is not just about taking beautiful pictures, it is an expression of oneself through art by penetrating emotions and feelings captured by the camera. You become this fictional character that is given to you by the director or the photographer. It is an awesome feeling, it is hard to describe. Most of the times after the final product or video is put together and you look at your work, you question, is that really me? Everyone has a busy schedule and sometimes being ourselves is just hard, so when you get a chance to portray or act a different character, it is almost as if you are stepping out of your own world for awhile and entering another.

Another great aspect about this industry is I get to meet all these amazing people along the way. I love making new friends and I really appreciate the people around me because one way or another we all help each other achieve our goals and that makes me very happy. ;)

Ah, now I'm just rambling and forgetting this is actually an assignment. Anyways, I may sound very open and outgoing but I do have my shy moments especially when I do not know anyone around me. It definitely takes everyone some time to open up. However, I also learned that being quiet and observant is also rewarding, you can learn a lot about other people that way, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I spent an hour looking for a photo to post because I have no idea what to use. Then I stumbled on a photo I took this winter break while I was on a family vacation in Miami. We visited the Everglades Safari Park, FL.

I was really excited that there laid an alligator extremely close to the fence. At first the alligator had its eyes closed but I sat on the ground and waited a while, then suddenly it opened its eyes! I also like photography so I tried to capture it as best as I could. Sorry, this is such a random photo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Eh, I figure I'll just add a photo of me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment