Saturday, January 28, 2012

Smiling Faces and the Cat Fight


I think I am a polyglot.   I love meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, visiting new places.  I feel comfortable among strangers, so long as at the end of my encounter one of us has a smile, and I have seen many, many smiles!   It is exciting to visit a place that at first appears strange and unknown, but in time becomes some what comfortable, its never like "home."  But, what place is?   I love traveling, I have back-packed South America and Central America several times and visited most of western Europe (take a hike on the Interior Plateau of Iceland!); I've traveled a little of north Africa and south Asia (I loved Borneo and trekking up Mt. Kinubalu!). 

What is most revealing while traveling in different cultural environments is the relationship between the sexes, be it in cafes, public markets, tourist sites or off the beaten path.  My perception as a NewYorker in regards to the relationship of the sexes is not the same perception held by acquaintances I met in Snæfellsnes, Iceland, Sabah, Malaysia or El Jem, Tunisia.

There is no doubt that media has played an important role in these perceptions, coupled with religion, social order, politics and the like.   Take for example, the "cat fight," and the connotations that come along with it.  How is the "cat fight" conveyed in Spanish Novelas?!  Do Latino media groups (Television , Univision, Telemundo)  portray women in a different light than, say, Arabic or Korean soap operas.  Compare them yourself, do they seemingly convey similar nuances?  How are they different?  Can one say Arabic soap operas portray women less aggressive than Korean or Latino less than American?  Which one has the most "meow"?



I look forward to exploring the historical timeline of modern media, particularly Western media and its impact on social conventions.  But, I also look forward to weighing its present influence in the new century, where expedient, accessible, and fluid media is available from non-western media sources.

The query maybe what impact will this new media have on perceptions of the sexes, on religion and culture, on social order. Will it be different or the same?


No comments:

Post a Comment