Saturday, January 28, 2012

Life is a performance

In short, I am a performer. I am finally beginning to take myself seriously as an artist and to take pride in stating that I am an aspiring actor who is training his crafts of singing and dancing in order to become more marketable. I work to pay for voice lessons and dance classes and even work at Broadway Dance Center in order to afford heavily discounted classes. I wake up excited because my routine is starting to look how I always imagined. I have dreams…and I intend to reach them.

Being the offspring of a German father and an Ecuadorian mother, I have inherited many complexities which I try to overcome or use to my advantage in my artistic expression. My mother is a born again evangelical Christian woman (not that there is anything wrong with finding a belief that positively changes your life – I have just found mine through success books on positive thinking, believe God and the universe are alike and am content with that) which feeds my inner rebel. I am attracted to controversy and anything that pushes the limits. However, many would not initially know it looking at me because it is usually kept under a low profile. I believe I am an old soul and would probably fit well in a European setting.

In terms of media making I would have to admit that I gravitate towards cameras. I love framing a shot whether it is a still or moving image. I love it because there is really no right or wrong to it, there is just one’s own interpretation and a freedom to explore infinite perspectives that I think is limited in other aspects of everyday life. This class already turned into therapy!

I consume a lot of media via the internet, but I mainly just use it to quickly check facebook, review gmail, and find music on either youtube or itunes. Google as well! I’m a pretty boring media consumer. However, I am greatly bothered by mainstream media and their use of oppressive stereotypes as well as coverage on politics. I am not very informed on campaigns, but I hate the cat and mouse game that is political entertainment. I know people like Mitt Romney have their own agenda and the fact that they still stand a chance at having political power is terrifying. If there were less reality shows maybe the American public would be a bit more informed and be worthy of possessing the right to vote, which goes for me too. 

ALSO, thanks to class discussion, I find Spanish television networks such as Univision and Telemundo to be laughable with their method of portraying women. There is always a young attractive dolled up actress (who cannot act) who is about to be beaten, cheated on, commit murder or an over the hill unattractive woman there for comic relief who maybe discovers the murder. Sabado Gigante also does a great job at objectifying their female guests, dancers, and contestants which are always a plus for “machismos” (gag me).


PS: Below is a clip from my high school performance of a Pajama Game # "Steam Heat" (this was way before i took dance classes consistently so my spotting has much improved haha)

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hila :D

    I just finished reading yours and would love to hear more about that stranger who came into your life in that moment by the waves. Afterwards i got the impression you are a receptive person such as i consider myself to be.

    Strangers have also come and gone in an instant to offer me something and i believe it is all for a reason. I know a few friends who have served in the Israeli army but do not know how tough it actually is. I could never imagine experiencing something like that. You are very strong.

    ReplyDelete